Position Title: Custodian - Class 18
Reports To: Principal/ Director of Public Facilities or designee
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 12 month (260 days) with benefits and salary in accordance the SEIU Local 888 collective bargaining agreement.
Start date: Immediately
2:30 pm - 11:00pm, Monday – Friday – 6% differential. Summer Hours 6:00am - 2:30pm
$20.7481 - $24.6657 per hour
- High School diploma or sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed in this job description. Must have a valid driver’s license. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal record check (CORI), Sexual Offender Registry (SORI), SAFIS finger printing and a pre-placement medical exam with drug screening.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in modern cleaning methods including basic methods for cleaning carpets, floors, restrooms, walls, furniture and fixtures. Working knowledge of cleaning chemicals, supplies, and equipment and safety practices used in custodial work. Ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment.
- Possess basic computer skills, including ability to perform simple word processing and send/receive email and ability to access internet programs, or willingness and ability to be trained on such items.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to perform basic math, understand written procedures, write routine documents, and speak clearly; and understand multi-step written and oral instructions.
To maintain a safe, comfortable and functional environment in all Municipal buildings in a cost effective, customer oriented manner that helps the Department of Public Facilities fulfill its mission of service to its residents and protects the capital investment made by the Town of Lexington.
A Custodian is responsible for maintaining a safe and cleanly environment. Responsibilities include the daily cleaning of an assigned area. A Custodian must maintain good relationships with all building stakeholders. Custodians are also tasked with various set ups and break downs for numerous School or rental events and activities. A Custodian is expected to report building deficiencies to their Supervisor.
- Prepares facility for daily operations as may be required (e.g. disarming alarms, lights/HVAC, opening gates, raising flags, sweep/shovel/remove snow and sand walks, building access doors, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring facilities are operational and safe for occupancy. Perform snow removal operations and run associated equipment as needed.
Perform custodial duties in accordance with Industry standards, including daily, detail and project cleaning (including summer break cleaning for schools). Participate in zone, team and group cleaning methods as deemed most appropriate by the supervisor.
Clean assigned area, using designated cleaning products, hand tools, and power equipment (i.e. floor machines, burnishers, autoscrubbers, vacuum cleaners, carpet extractors, grounds equipment and vertical personnel lifts) as directed and instructed by the Department of Public Facilities. Perform scheduled duties such as sweeping of floors and stairways; washing, waxing and polishing; cleaning and dusting certain furniture; emptying waste and recycling containers and cleaning restrooms.
- Maintains supplies and equipment (e.g. cleaning solutions, paper products, vacuum, mops, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of items required to properly stock facilities.
Mop classrooms (wet mop as needed) and dust furniture. Vacuum carpeted areas daily.
Clean corridors and stairs after school daily and during work hours when the conditions require
Scrub, hose down, and disinfect toilet floors daily and clean all sanitary fixtures and drinking fountains daily. Check towel, tissue and soap dispensers and refill as necessary.
Wash all windows per cleaning schedule
Keep all floors in a clean and attractive condition, including gymnasiums, and in good state of preservation.
Replace light bulbs and ceiling tiles as needed. Performs maintenance such as painting, cork and white board installations (4x8), Maps, flags and assist maintenance staff as determined by the Director of Public Facilities or designee.
Comply with local laws and procedures for the storage and disposal of trash, rubbish and waste
Move furniture or equipment within buildings as required for various activities as directed by the Principal, Director of Facilities or Supervisor
Remain on school premises during school hours, and during non-school hours when authorized use of the building and attendance is required by Director of Facilities or DPF Custodial Supervisor
Report all repairs or need for building maintenance, as well as vandalism damage of town property to the Department of Public Facilities
Secures facilities and grounds daily (e.g. open windows, open/unlocked doors, arm intrusion alarm, turn off lights, take down flags, etc.) for the purpose of minimizing property damage, equipment loss and potential liability to the Town. Assume responsibility for the opening and closing of the building each day and for determining, upon leaving, that all doors and windows are secured and that the alarm system is in working order
Keep inventory of supplies and equipment and requisition needed replacements in a timely manner
Check fire extinguishers for charge level and notify the Facilities Department if there is a problem
Perform miscellaneous duties such as setting up tables and chairs for special events, providing direction and answering basic questions regarding events for patrons
Sweeps walks and steps and removes litter from grounds. Maintain grounds area around School.
Attend and participate in scheduled department meetings
Complete daily checklist
Other duties as maybe assigned
Essential Functions of the Job:
Must possess the ability to:
- Maintain an assigned school building, group of buildings or office space in a clean, orderly, safe and secure manner during an assigned shift
- Use and maintain equipment such as automatic floor cleaning machines, vacuums, carpet extractors, lawn mowers, mops, brooms, shovels, snow blowers, leaf blowers, small hand tools, ladders, personnel lifts, and miscellaneous other cleaning tools and equipment.
- Learn custodial procedures, methods and schedules
- Use common cleaning equipment and materials in a safe and efficient manner
- Work cooperatively with others
- Meet schedules and time lines
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Exercise sound judgment
- Work well under pressure
- Communicate and work well with others
- Be reliable and organized
- Use computer to request supplies and services
Applicants for employment are considered without regard to age, physical, mental or psychiatric disability, genetics, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, or military status.